Date(s) - Saturday, July 27
WHAT: New Belgium’s Tour de Fat – Minneapolis
WHEN: Saturday, July 27, 2013, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
WHERE: Loring Park, 1382 Willow Street, Minneapolis 55403
Tour de Fat is a daylong festival in the park that celebrates the bicycle, showcases New Belgium beers and provides eclectic and engaging entertainment for all. It’s a free event, but all proceeds from beer sales goes to local nonprofits. In Minneapolis the benefiting nonprofits are Midtown Greenway Coalition, Minnesota Off Road Cycling, Minneapolis Off Road Cycling and Bicycle Alliance of Minnesota. Over its course, Tour de Fat has raised more than $2 million for nonprofit organizations.
Each festival kicks off with a bicycle parade through city streets in celebration of the bike. Costumes are encouraged but not mandatory—though the truly aware come prepared. Each parade route is designed for people of all skill levels, wrapping up at the park for a day of both sensory stimulation and relaxation. Learn more at www.newbelgium.com/events/tour-de-fat/minneapolis.aspx
Join us after the parade at Loring Park for the pinnacle of Tour de Fat, the ceremonious car-for-bike swap. At each of the 15 Tour de Fat stops, one person will become the center of the show as he or she gets up on stage, hands over their car keys, and pledges to live one year car-free. Car-for-Bike Swappers are chosen after submitting an application describing why they are ready to give up their vehicle for the gift of two wheels. If you are interested in being the center of the show for this amazing cause, click on this link for more information: www.newbelgium.com/events/tour-de-fat/tradeyourcar.aspx.
Ready or not, the Tour de Fat will be meandering, pandering, and Ned Flandering through 12 U.S. cities this year, spreading the good word about the radness of the mighty bicycle and a simple, honest way of living. Along with our exceptional ability to roust a city’s inner-cyclist, in 2013 we hope to have one heck of a time (Yeah!). Boy, do we have our work cut out for us…? May the revival roll forth in the name of the bicycle, and may you ride true to The Ten Commandments of the Tour de Fat, now and always times infinity:
1. Put no means of transport before thy bike: Come by bike because not only are bikes fun, but they help stave off some of our most wicked ills: Traffic, laziness, and pollution. Tour de Fat has a solution: ride this day, every day, and definitely when Tour de Fat heads your way.
2. Honor all other bikes: All bikes are good bikes, and all those who ride them are good people. This is the one Bike Festival that cherishes bicycle diversity on our Cruise-ade through town.
3. May every generation come forth: This is a family friendly event. Costumes, bikes and a parade? We were thinking like kids when we created Tour de Fat.
4. Thou shall come as a participant not a spectator: It’s a costumed celebration of human-powered transportation. Muscles not motors, coasters, v-brakes and rotors. Come in your favorite alter ego, because when everybody’s weird, no one is.
5. Thou shalt not bring booze; But enjoy the supplied malted adult refreshments responsibly: Please do not bring any outside alcohol on the ride or into the park. It could result in getting the event shut down…don’t be that guy. And when you imbibe in our tasty brews, remember this is a Bicycle Festival with beer, not the other way around.
6. New Belgium shalt not profit: Our goal is to raise money for bicycle and environmental charities. New Belgium Brewing Company does NOT retain any of the events’ proceeds. Please think of your $5 beer tokens as donations to a worthy cause. All sales are final; beer tokens do not expire and will be accepted next year (does not include TEXAS).
7. Remember the purpose, and bring not your pooches: No canine friends allowed this year. We’re a dog-loving Brewery, but sadly not all municipalities and parks are. Please leave your best friends at home for their safety and the safety of others. Besides, it’s not much fun for dogs with all the noise and crazy people around.
8. Keep the day true with thy good juju: The ride is free, but we suggest a $5 donation to the good bike advocates who are putting it on for you (does not include TEXAS). If you give more, you will not incur flats, mechanical troubles, or dry skin for a while…maybe. This is a celebration of the bike, not an anti-car rally. All tools have their place.
9. Thou shall rise early: Since Tour de Fat is a free show, we sometimes get more folks than we can accommodate. Once we’re full, we will handle overflow like a restaurant or bar: one in, one out. We reserve the right to determine the appropriate crowd size in the name of safety and enjoyment for those inside.
10. Thou shalt not steal thy neighbors’ bike: Don’t even think of leaving with a bike that doesn’t belong to you. Modern-day horse thieves will be dealt with by angry mob, pitchforks, and torches.